Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 5: 109 miles to Tucumcari, NM 109



I thought the desert was over with and left my camel back at home. Yikes, what I have I gotten myself into?!

Distance: 108
Total elevation: 3829
Calories: 4395
Average speed: 13.7
Time on bike: 7:03

My numbers are for 97.7 miles. I turned off my Garmin to save some battery. I knew it would be a long day.

It was a windy day! 20 mph winds with guts of 30 mph, or more. I rode solo; there wasn’t much to listen to but the wind. The winds took me all over the place and had me gripping the handle bars for dear life. There is no ride or any wind in San Antonio that could compare to the magnitude of the wind.

There were breathtaking views but I didn’t look long for fear of falling over. The first 50 miles went fast, in about 3 hours.

I am certainly not the fastest one here on tour. As a matter of fact, I am the last one in. In all fairness, they are two riders that started early. I am ok with this. I am enjoying my ride and the time on the bike.

Accumulatively from last year and this year, I have ridden 1000 miles across America. Today was a milestone ride.



Ben, Glad your following! Would you ask Ed if he packed my flag? My flag didn't make it over with the bike. It started with me and was hoping to keeping it going. If its still at the shop, that would be really cool too.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Barb, glad too see your well. Sometimes riding alone can be therapeutic, keep your head up and the cranks turning and may the wind be at your back! Ed says he packed the flag, if its here I'll keep an eye for it just in case.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete