Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 5: 84.8 miles to Cedar Rapids

Emotionally and physically I am spent.  Grit is what is getting me through.  I wanted to walk away, and I did. Two hours and four beers later, the team talked me into staying. We came as a team and we will leave as a team.  It is not the miles but my spirit. 

Then we weathered the storm.  60 mile an hour winds picked up and we were evacuated into a barn. We had to walk away from the trailer and the bike.  Talk about scary.  Talk about another night going by without any sleep.

There are still no takers on leg massages or rubbing butt butter on me.  I think I have made about half a dozen grown men blush. I am not really sure what I would do if someone took me up on it.  But I guess you will never know if you don’t ask.

Champ and Ronnie meet me at the trailer and offered a shower in their room.  Air conditioning, a free shower, and a nice room to lounge in, it is quite wonderful. Plus a car to ride around in.  And, seeing a cross roads friend is the added bonus.

Grit got me through the day and the completion of 370 miles in 5 days.  My spirits are up and living the dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment