Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veterans Day

To my father and to all those who have served in the military, thank you for your service and for all you do for America. Like my Uncle Albert, some have paid the ultimate sacrifice. I am so grateful for the freedom we have and the opportunities that are available- only in America.

My father was eighteen years old when he was in the Army. During this time, he traveled to Korea and had some devastating experiences. As a newlywed, my mom traveled with him to Hawaii and then moved to Pennsylvania.

When I was in high school, Dad re-enlisted with the Air Force and was a weekend warrior. During my junior year, he went off to Desert Storm. He may have been gone for six weeks or six months, it is all a blur. My memory tries to protect me from that time without my father.

It has been some time, but my father is now retired military. At first, he struggled with having too much time on his hands but now he loves his free time and exploring local estate sales. Dad, I love you and proud of the dedication you have displayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment