Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Leaf

 
It was over the Christmas holiday day break and we were riding our bikes to the neighborhood park.  Our Little Man found a leaf.  Not just a leaf, but a really big leaf.  He wanted to keep it and made us carry it home.


When we were home, Little Man protected his leaf and placed it on a paper towel. Everyday he would check on the leaf, make sure it was not moved, and that no one touched it.

For his birthday, I decided to get the leaf framed.  I was not sure how it would be received and thought it would be discarded. But, he actually liked it and did the happy clap while jumping up and down.
 
The day of Little Man's birthday, he was crying. Never thinking I could say or do anything do soothe his tears, I hugged him and talked to him and he actually stopped crying.
 
That weekend, I felt like I scored a home run. My gift was a hit and I was able to say the right thing to make a difference. Some days it is all smiles and other days we have elephant tears.  Ups and downs and downs and ups.  Just like cycling, I am enjoying the fast descents and powering up the climbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment