Monday, June 22, 2009

Questions

After eight year of cycling I still feel as if I have a lot to learn. Is cycling shorts and a jersey considered an outfit? Do I sit more toward the front of my saddle or the back? Will these darn farmer tan lines ever go away?

She said, “What a cute outfit” as I was walking out of the locker room, “You look super cute in your cycling cloths.” When did cycling cloths become outfits? How cool can padded shorts and spandex really be? It wasn’t until my recent long distance trip that I became more comfortable in my cycling cloths. There is something about spending up to 8 hours plus for 12 days straight, in cycling cloths that make them start becoming part of your body. Using the word “outfit” implies that I look stylish or cool. Far from the truth, it is impossible to mix fashion and cycling cloths. It is rude to not take a compliment so I said, “Thanks” as I hobbled out with my bike cleats on.

A few weeks before I left for my trip and when I returned, I have been struggling with knee pain. Both on the right and left knee, on the inside and outside of the knee. It appears like I am moving around quite a bit on the saddle when I ride, which makes it difficult to setup the correct height of my seat. Not sure why, but I had NO pain on the 852 miles I just rode. Maybe my body hurt all over and the pain made me numb so that I did not feel any knee pain? Whatever the case, my other option will be to change the saddle. I am not looking forward to getting used to a new seat, but its all part of the climb.

It is an exaggeration yes, but the tan lines seem to be everywhere! On my arms, on my legs and on my hands. To rid the glove lines, I stopped wearing cycling gloves. No issues- yet. Covering my arms with sun screen help slightly but the fight seems to be endless. The biker short line, well, I have given up on erasing them.

No matter the personal struggles, no matter the body pains, and no matter how simple these issues may seem, I find that being on my bike, on the open road; I am in my happy place. Cloths may be cool or un-cool, tan lines or not, you will always find me smiling when I am on my bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment