Thursday, June 14, 2012

Soul

A few miles into the trip, we were given the opportunity to introduce ourselves. We had to say something unique about us to help the group remember our names. Of course, I am Barbie and her bike- the girl that road her bike across America. I am the solo traveler looking for adventure.

As things go, I made a new friend. Daryl was with his father and we quickly hit it off. He was first on the boat to fight the white water and nearly sprinted up any cliff as soon as camp was setup. It was easy to find adventure following the prints of his water shoes. Grab that rock hat he grabs and step on the rock that he steps on. We explored any place that guides pointed us to.

Sleeping on a cot, I was able to fall asleep looking at the stars and wake when the full moon crested the canyon walls. A snake sleep in the bush next to me, a few feet away. Yea, I sleep with the snakes.

Bed time was when it turned dark, at about 8 PM. We woke when the sun started to rise, at 5 o’clock in the morning. The crickets were real crickets and not my alarm clock on my iPhone.

By eight in the morning, I was standing on the edge of a cliff with a chance to jump. The guide went first, then Daryl, and then I was up. I said, “I’m kinda scared. Do I have to run and jump? Or, can I just stand and jump”? With people waiting, all I could do was jump. It was cold but worth it.

No, I did not want to sleep on a cot, pee in a river, and not shower for three days; but I did want to find adventure. I went outside my comfort zone and had an experience that I would not have had any other way. With the help of someone in front of me, I was able to sleep without a tent and climb higher than my comfort level would have allowed me. I discovered the scene of adventure in my soul. It was there all along but needed a little encouragement to get me over the edge.

2 comments: