Tuesday, April 28, 2009

You're Doing What?!?


The day was Christmas Eve of 2008 and my mother was diagnosis with severer liver disease. It was shocking news! At that point, my family and I didn’t know how long we had with my mom. It made me realize how precious life is. You never really know how much time you have. If I am not living my life, accomplishing my goals, my time will run out. I have to start acting and living my life.

My mom has always been a positive inspiration for me and has encouraged me to be a success at whatever I put my mind to. To see my mom, a cancer survivor, and now fighting cirrhosis of the liver, riding my bike across America will be a piece of cake.

When I say I am going to ride my bike across America, I usually get the wide eye stare and the question, you’re doing what?! Since college, it’s always been a dream of mine. I think it would be a great opportunity to see America from a bike, have the sun on my face and the wind in my hair. You’ve gotta love God’s country! Biking makes me feel like a kid again. (Please remind me of this when I am cursing those mountain passes!)

Believe me I already tried to get 50 days off of work, but my manager just wouldn’t have it. My plan is to complete the tour over three years. 2 weeks this year, 2 weeks in 2010, and the last leg will be 2 weeks in 2011. I fly out of San Antonio to LAX on May 8 and start riding on May 10, 2009 Mother’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment