Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Stupid Bee


The gas gauge in my car reads “E” when I realized it had been a month since the last time I fueled up my car. Not using much gas and helping out the environment is a plus to commuting, but the truth is that I love to ride my bike.  It feels like I am going outside to play.
Most days that is. 
Until last week, a stupid bee stung me on my left eye brow.  I was on my way home from work and two miles from the stopping point. Man, that stupid thing hurt!  How can something so small hurt so much?! I flicked the bugger from my forehead and scrapped the stinger out of my face with my nail.  Benadryl and ice held down the swelling for a day but by the weekend, my eye was swollen shut.
It was a scary feeling being able to see out of only one eye and driving myself to the emergency clinic. The most difficult for me was when I realized how vain I really am.  I could not bear the sight of seeing my face getting puffy and was afraid of what people would think when they saw me.  Da Boyz were understanding and said they would beat up any one who pointed and made fun of me. Their words of heroism made me feel foolish for being self conscious when all they saw was me. Just Barbie- as if my face was not distorted.
After the steroid shot and only after I had the appropriate amount of pouting time in, slowly the swelling went down and I started feeling back to normal. The moral of the story is, the next time you see me wearing big sunglasses inside, make sure I am not hiding my eyes.  My eyes will give me away every time.
PS: No way, no how, will I ever post a picture of what I looked like after the bee sting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment