Tuesday, December 8, 2009

White Elephant



This past weekend, Del had her annual white elephant gift exchange. As with all gift exchanges you bring a gift and leave with a gift but you never know what you are going to take home. Her parties are always a time of fun but mostly a time to see friends that you don’t see often.

The year after my divorce I connected with three ladies also going through a divorce. All I can say is that when three single ladies hit the town it can get a little crazy. If you have ever been through a divorce you know that the last thing you want to do is go home to an empty house. The next best thing is going out and drinking a lot. It helps to drink the pain away.

That year is when we got closer then before. The roots of our friendship grew deep because we had a commonality that brought us together. Del, Dee Dee, Kristine, and I have the “Big D” behind us. And I don’t mean Dallas. These are the girls that I go to the bathroom.

Six years later, the winds have brought many changes in our lives. Del still has the picture of us on her refrigerator. I keep the picture close as a reminder of the friends that helped me deal with my divorce.

Robert and I walked away with a folding patio umbrella that everyone seemed to want. The most precious gift was visiting with my BFF. My friends forgive me of my shortcomings and love me just the way I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment