Monday, August 30, 2010

Thoughts About The Race

Official time of 2010 Dam ‘09: 1:09:33
Class position: 8
400 meter swim: 9:18
Transition 1: 1:42
10 meter bike: 30:31, pace 19.7 MPH.
Transition2: 2:12 (I left my bike helmet on and had to go back to take it off.)
4K run: 25:48

My age marks my calf with a permanent black marker and my bib number remains marked on my arm. Never before have I proudly worn my age. I purposefully wear a skirt so that someone would ask what the number is. I want to tell them I did my first TRI. Sadly, no one asks. Still, I tell everyone who listens.

After riding 2220 miles across America, there is something inside me that thinks I can do anything I set my mind to. There are no limits and the possibilities are endless no matter the obstacles in front of me.

The days before the TRI, there were lots of reason to not participate. I could even make some up. My knee hurts. I’m not a strong runner. I’m gonna choke and swallow the pool during my swim. The list goes on.

There are all these “what if” questions that are barriers that block me from finishing. All I can do is step over them and keeping doing what I know how to do. I stick by what I learned on my ride. Your body will do anything you train it to do. Your body is really that amazing of a machine.

Aside from all the bickering between the ladies in my family regarding the quinceanera taking place in 2 weeks, a rather large obstacle popped up the day before the race. My mom is sick, yet again. A doctor’s appointment advised her to go straight to the hospital. She doesn’t want to go and I don’t blame her. She hates being poked, pricked, and tested.

I begged her. I cried. I told her she was important to me and that I wanted her to get better- soon. It didn’t work. She didn’t go to the hospital until last Sunday night.

One day at a time. One race at a time, I try to keep my sanity. The craziness of life is a whirlwind around me and the peace I find is on the road.

Next on my list is to train for time trials. Tour de Gruene is on my list and if I’m lucky, Lance will show up.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Barbie...I'm so sorry about your mom. Yet, you are so blessed to have the passion to challenge your body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your mom. You are both tough ladies. I'll be at the Tour de Gruene, but not the TT, only the ride.

    ReplyDelete